Welcome to Terry Basolo & Associates. I believe and hope you will discover my approach and practice location offer a capable, warm, and professional environment.
I work with Individuals-adolescent and adult clients of any age, race, ethnicity, gender-identify, socioeconomic class, and/or sexual orientation. My clients pursue therapy for things like wanting to explore life’s meaning as it relates to the self, advancing their self-fulfillment and/or improvement in their interactions with others, and to adjust to current challenging life circumstances.
My Specialties with Individuals-Three significant areas of my focus are working with:
- Male clients dealing with a new or ongoing diagnosis of cancer and/or other life threatening illnesses,
- Male clients dealing with drug/alcohol, sexual/porn, or video/internet dependencies.
- Coming out issues for queer/questioning individuals tied to sexual orientation and/or gender identification,
I work with Couples-My goal is to help couples and individuals learn how to connect rather than to fight. I use observation, humor, experimentation, and psycho-education in order to help people become aware of and examine their own habitual ways of perceiving and behaving in relationships. I believe that awareness of oneself, authenticity, consideration of others’ needs, and tolerance for difference are the foundation of human connection. My approach to therapy is informed by research, practice, and feedback from both clients and colleagues.
When working with couples I am respectful and collaborative. I will work hard to understand your needs in your relationship. I will give you clear feedback about your strengths and challenges. I will help you learn the skills necessary to regulate your conflict and to create rituals of connection. Typical issues that couple counseling can help you with:
- Poor communication that leads to escalated conflict, avoidance, or both
- Unresolved conflict
- Having a passionless relationship
- Conflict about child-rearing
- Conflict about sex or sexuality
- Blended families
- Premarital or preventative couples counseling. This is for newer couples who are devoted to each other and wish to either stop bad habits before they cause damage and/or learn skills to deal well with differences and the ups and downs of long term commitment
What couples typically achieve in couple counseling:
- The delicate art of balancing your needs for autonomy and connection
- Improved communication – feeling heard, understood, and staying close
- Differences become the spice that keeps your relationship vibrant & healthy
- Both have and meet higher expectations of your relationship
- Develop rituals of closeness & connection
- Avoid the most common and corrosive relationship habits
- Secure long term satisfaction in your relationship
- When feeling hurt, the refractory period shortens, meaning less time fighting and more time being friends
There is something to the old adage, “love conquers all”. Research shows that couples with well functioning relationships are less likely to get physical illnesses like cancer and heart disease, have stronger immune systems, and increased ability to handle stress and anxiety. Long-term, committed relationships are hard work, worth the effort, and provide a safe haven in a complex and uncertain world.
Unfortunately couples wait approximately six years before getting help from a professional after their first signs of distress. The great news is that with proper care, courage, and hard work relationships can be repaired, revitalized, and returned to being satisfying again. I am happy to assist you in this effort toward deeper connection, understanding, and mutual support. Whether you have been together 2 months or 20 years, calling me might be the first step toward a closer, more fulfilling, and beautiful relationship.
My fees are currently $125.00 for a 50-minute individual session and $150.00 for a 55-minute couple session. I do not currently accept insurance but am willing to provide you a diagnostic code you may self-submit to request reimbursement from your insurer, should you choose. I have limited slots for student and low-income clients-please inquire if this fits your situation.
My education & training-I hold a Washington Licensed Mental Health Clinician Associate (LMHCA) license, a National Certified Counselor (NCC) accreditation, a King County Sexual Minority Mental Health Specialist (SMMHS) certificate and am also licensed as a Washington State Chemical Dependency Professional Trainee (CDPT). I have a BA in Political Science form Portland State University, an MPA in Public Administration from the University of Washington, and an MA in Counseling Psychology from Lewis & Clark College. I am trained on Gestalt Expressive Arts Therapy, various couple’s trainings/orientations, and am active with a Gestalt training group that meets regularly in the Seattle area and abroad for an intensive summer training session.